Saturday, May 16, 2009

Valium is golden







Last night went well. After the pain was under control, Jack slept from about 7 until 11. He woke up and played some video games from 11 until about 1 am. The nurse came with his valium and he was out until 6. He woke up with some discomfort...more from the epidural tape, IV, and all the sheets/pillows/blankets stuffed around him. I think he was more uncomfortable than in pain. We watched a movie until the nurse came with his Valium. Within 5 minutes he was peacefully resting. The Valium is to relax him and prevent muscle spasms, and it is the greatest thing in my life right now!

Right now we're hoping that he can keep down the juice he had this morning so we can graduate to some broth or jello. He is starving....truth be told, so are Jon and I, but I challenge you to eat in front of a 6 starving 6 year old that can't! We're thinking we're going to sneak out and each grab a quick bite to eat.

Jack is holding up okay. He told us he's scared about what else the doctors are going to do to him :( We're trying to reassure him that the worst part is over, but I can completely understand his worries. We're not sure what is in store for us today, if he'll be getting out of bed or not. We'll keep you posted!


Playing DS with his animals and blankie that never left his side.








7 comments:

  1. Ahh, he is such a brave guy! I am glad they have something to help him rest. I can only imagine that its very normal for him to have the fears he does.
    Hopefully today will be a good day for you all. I am sure there will be some lows, but many highs too!
    Take care Jack!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heidi - I'm happy to hear he is now out of surgery and on the road to recovery. Flip Flops here he comes! Prayers for an easy recovery. Hopefully each day gets better and easier for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jon, Heidi & Jack--you guys are awesome! I hope today goes well and everyone gets some rest, has something to drink & can even laugh once or twice! Praying & thinking of you all for a super quick recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck to him keeping the juice down! Love to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good that he is resting, I hope that he can keep the juice down, and that you and Jon get something to eat, too!

    I hope today is relatively easy for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is all so amazing to read! You are all so strong going through this - I admire that so much! Way to go Jack!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It made me smile to see that dolphin on your bed, Jack. How fun to look forward to your dream of swimming with the dolphins.

    ReplyDelete