Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Another day down

It is so nice to be home, but quite a bit busier! Jack had a great night last night, he slept for 10 hours. I had to wake him up every 2 hours for his medicine, but he fell back to sleep quickly.

We are still battling that back pain. He complains of it constantly, so we know it's hurting and frustrating him. He can't get comfortable in a position to relieve the pain. It's so frustrating for us, he rarely complains about pain in the leg...it's the back pain. Jon pointed out that Jack seems to have a tolerance for the leg pain, he expects it to hurt. But the back pain is unexpected and so frustrating. We're hoping it gets better quickly. It has to, right???

We've decreased his pain medication today. He threw up every time we gave him the Valium, so we decided it wasn't worth it and stopped giving it to him. Funny story, that I'm not laughing about today, but someday I will....We put Jack in the wheelchair and he and Max were in the deck sitting and playing legoes. Amelia was scooting/her-version-of-crawling on the deck. Jon gave Jack his Valium and he projectile (and I mean projectile) vomited all over Max. Max starts screaming "I don't want puke on me", Jack is screaming because it hurts his back to throw up, and Amelia starts crawling in the puke. It was unbelievable. Ok, actually I can laugh about it now.

We're still working on lifting his spirits up. This has been the hardest thing for me to watch. I just did not expect this from Jack. He is such a vibrant, happy-go-lucky kid and to see him in this almost-depressed state is just heart-breaking. We have got to get this back pain taken care of and then he can be up in the wheelchair and we can do more. Jon is taking Max to his last day of school party tomorrow and Jack and I have plans to build a volcano. I'm praying he can sit up long enough to do it (and stay awake!)

Jon and I each took a little break today and got away for a while. Jon went to the store for pillows to pad up the wheelchair and came home with stuff to decorate the house with. Those of you that know Jon will find that very funny! He did a good job, I may be putting him in charge of decorating the rest of the house. It's hard to believe that we moved from NC and closed on this house one year ago tomorrow!

This is a crazy roller coaster of ups and downs. I keep telling myself he's improving everyday, slowly improving, but it is getting better. I've taken pictures along the way. I need to find the time to download them and post them to this site.

We're hanging in there. I've got strict instructions to get some watercolor crayons that we used in the hospital, so I'm off to do a little online shopping. Retail therapy.....works every time :)

4 comments:

  1. You can get watercolor pencils from places like Michaels and Joann's or an art supply shop if you can break away for a few minutes. Haven't seen the crayons though... they'd be cool!

    It does sound like he is improving a little day by day... hang in there... We're thinking about ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Heidi but I did giggle at the puke visual. I'm impressed that you can laugh about it already.

    Jack will bounce back in no time. It seems like it's been forever I'm sure but it's only been a week. I bet that 10h sleep was wonderful.
    Still thinkin' and praying

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet that 10 hours of sleep (even with periodic interruptions) will do wonders for Jack. How about you, Heidi - are you getting any sleep?

    The puke story, while gross, certainly did make me giggle a little.

    Have fun with retail therapy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gotta love a good puke story! Is back pain from the epidural or something else? heating pad on light setting just to soothe! Poor baby! Take care of yourself too Heidi!

    ReplyDelete