Saturday, May 16, 2009

1st PT session

Can I just say...sitting in a hospital room is soooooo boring. I mean, really really boring. And you're sort of damned if you do, damned if you don't. Sitting in the room staring at one another gets a little old, but leaving the room is heart-breaking. So many babies and really really sick kids in here. It's a tough place to be.
Doing a crossword puzzle and watching a movie with Daddy:



Jack is hanging in there. He had his first physical therapy session today. It went a little rough. We got him sitting up with his feet over the edge of the bed. We thought he'd love that because he is so tired of laying flat and he's been complaining of the tape from the epidural hurting his skin. Unfortunately, sitting up did NOT relieve that discomfort...add in the pain from the PT bending his leg and it was torture. He was in so much pain and the PT was trying to distract him by asking him questions about school and his family. He was trying his best to answer her between sobs...it wasn't pretty. But, it's over and shortly after the nurse came with our favorite thing in the world, the Valium, and I started reading his book and he was out within 5 minutes.

After a 2 hour nap, he woke up for a snack. Jon had gotten him popsicles and saltines. The popsicles were a 2-pack and Jack informed Jon he was going to only eat one because eating two would be "way too much sugar." He wouldn't try the saltines because they were the low-sodium kind and he "only likes the ones with salt." sheesh, talk about hard to please. Kidding, of course. Thankfully, I had a bag of goldfish crackers and he is happily munching on those playing MarioKart, which after Valium is my favorite thing in life right now.

I just got instructions to finish coloring the picture of the Painted Lady caterpillar that he had started earlier. I hope my work lives up to his expectations :) I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

  1. I love MarioKart!! :) I remember when I was in the hospital to get my tonsils out when I was about Jack's age I wouldn't take the Tylenol because it was green and not red/cherry! :P Hope the Valium gets him through and let's you guys get some rest, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. heidi
    i wish i could give you a big hug. and jack of course too. it sounds like he is being his amazing self and trying to enjoy the things in life that make him smile. i hope the next PT session is better. still praying and thinking of you all.
    love ya!
    cara

    ReplyDelete