Sunday, May 17, 2009

update

Just a quick update. We're having some problems getting Jack's pain under control. He's at the maxiumum dosage for his epidural, so we upped the frequency of the vallium and added in some tylenol with codeine. It's hard to believe, he is still in pain. He seems comfortable for about an hour or two and then will wake up screaming in pain. Jon and I are doing our best to keep him distracted and calm, but it's so hard. He's in a bed connected to wires and tubes, so it's frustrating to not be able to give him a hug. I would love to just have him sit in my lap right now, I think he'd feel better and I know I would!

I'm not sure if the epidural is coming out today or not. It would be nice to get it out because a lot of the wires and tubes can be taken off once the epidural is out. However, we're afraid that oral meds won't control the leg pain. We're waiting for the pain management team to get here.

We were supposed to have PT at 8:15, but our nurse is having them come later. We're also scheduled for pin care today.

So, please pray that a solution for the pain is found today. We'd love to get that under control, get him out of bed, and maybe eating a little.

Jon and I are so proud of him. I don't know how such a little boy can have such strength. We know we just need to get through these next few days and hopefully before long, this weekend will be a distant memory.

9 comments:

  1. I will definitely be praying that they find a pain management that works. I know it is so difficult to want to hold your child and not be able to. That is a moms natural instinct when you see them in pain. He will soon be off all the wires and tubes and you will be able to hold him again. I hope you are not to board.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update...Will be praying hard today for his pain, and a solution to it. Hopefully the PM team can figure it out quick! Yes, time will do wonders...it's just getting through it right now....

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahh, poor little guy!! And mommy and daddy too it has to be hard to see him not totally himself and in pain. Keep us updated. Dave said he is going to call you guys sometime today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That breaks my heart. Poor guy! I will definitely keep him in my prayers and thoughts today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We're praying for you guys so hard Jack! Hang in there kiddo, and before you know it you'll be laughing and teasing Max & Mia! Stay strong mom & dad, this can't be easy! We're sending major positive energy your direction!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your post just breaks my heart. I know how it feels to be so out of control in a situation. This is far worse than anything we have had to deal with on our end. I just pray that they find a med combination that works while his body tries to start the healing process. Big hugs guys and hang in there. He is super strong- mentally and physically.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw Heidi and Jack, ((hugs)). I hope they get on top of his pain soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Praying for the pain to go away! hugs to you all !!!

    Mindy and Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  9. ((hugs)) to all of you... if the wires are just monitor leads, then don't worry about them disconnecting... they can be put on... and they regularly get tied in knots... - no damage done! The only ones you need to worry yourself with are the IV's and the epidural... and only because they are well painful to re-insert!

    Can you climb up on the bed with him and give him a hug or snuggle with him?? I can't tell you the number of times, that I would get H out of bed, disconnect a wire and have a nurse come running (least they were responsive) - so I got to the point where I'd tell them I was going to get her up so we might beep - no worries... they generally don't mind and would like to see you snuggling with them as much as you can anyway!

    (hang in there!)

    ReplyDelete