Monday, May 18, 2009

On the upside

Good night last night. We got Jack laying on his side and I crawled into bed with him. What a difference it makes to have mommy by your side all night. Instead of waking up screaming, it was a calm, "mommy, I need something." It felt so good to hold him all night, I swear I was trying to heal his little body with love.

The pain is well-managed now. This is not to say there is no pain....he gets severe cramps and sharp pains in the pin sites where the skin is stretching. HOwever, he is comfortable most of the time and we are able to settle him down with breathing and distracting.

The epidural is coming out today! I can't wait to lose the tape on his back. It sounds silly, but that tape is one of the worst things right now. It is driving him crazy....it hurts when it pulls his skin, it's hot, and sticky. Once the epidural is out, we can take out the catheter and I think he'll feel so much better.

That's the plan for today. We saw his surgeon today and she said everything that is happening is 100% normal....that's what we want to hear. She wants him to take a shower today, which will be interesting...but he'll feel so much better afterwards. And, we're scheduled to do PT in the therapy room so we get to get out of bed and out of this room!!!

Today, we are feeling good. It feels like things are getting better slowly and that's all we're hoping for!

13 comments:

  1. Still sending positive thoughts your way...
    Hope all goes as planned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that things are going good and can't wait until Jack can get home! We love you all and miss you very very much. I wish I was closer to help out a little.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear that things are slowly getting easier!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Heidi, that sounds so much better!! So glad that you got to hold your little man! Mommy hugs always make things better I think! Prayers for you all!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad that you got to give him hugs all night! Thinking of him, and all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That gave me goosebumps, hearing you got to sleep snuggled up to him :) He's so lucky to have such wonderful parents!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello from Spectrum School! Jack has been in all our thoughts since last Friday. We are sending him all kinds of positive healing energy as well as you both, Heidi and Jon. Hang in there.
    Heather Psaltis

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great news guys! I'm so happy to hear that Max got to visit and I'm happy to hear Heidi gets to see Mia & Max today too! Great day all around, hope things continue to go up!! XoXo Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  9. We missed Jack's smiling face in drama today but I am so glad to hear he is doing well...I am thinking of him and sending him healing and happy thoughts:-

    Miss Glen

    ReplyDelete
  10. GREAT NEWS!! I bet he loved having you near him last night!! A mommy's touch does wonders!! We love you Jack!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Heidi I've been out of town and away from a computer since Friday. I have been thinking of you all a lot!!!
    I was thrilled to read that you were able to get a good night of cuddling in and that all is going well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great update! I'm glad you got to snuggle with him. That sounds like it was really nice.

    ReplyDelete