Saturday, June 13, 2009

UP

Dare I say we are making progress? Two nights ago, Jon had a heart to heart with Jack and tried to teach him some relaxation techniques that he gives his patients to help them sleep. Jack got up twice that night, which is a remarkable difference compared to the 200000 times he’s been getting up. Friday morning’s shower was a disaster again, and I’m starting think that’s not going to change and I should just get in there and do it as fast as I can and forget trying to calm him down along the way. Afterwards, Jack and I had a talk and I told him I miss the old Jack, my happy, silly, loving kid. He looked at me with that glazed look in his eyes that men get when they want you to think they’re listening, but they’re really not. You women know what I’m talking about.

We had a busy day…Max had swim lessons. He has a new instructor and it’s just him and his friend, Sara. The 2 of them are just too cute together and her mom and I enjoy chatting the 45 minutes away. Then, Amelia had her 9 month check up. She’s our tall (75%ile) skinny (25%ile) baby. Clearly, she’s destined to be a supermodel, but surely will choose something much more fascinating like an astronaut or politician.

Jack had his massage appointment. I am not sure what happened on that table, but it was wonderful. A minute into the massage, he started chatting and just would not stop. It was heavenly…it was the endless silly chatter of kids that really gets on your nerves, but then when it’s gone for a few weeks you really miss it. His massage therapist is married to an artist (a really amazing one) and we decided that he is going to start giving Jack art lessons. Anyone that knows Jack, knows that this is perfect for him! We had sent Jack’s friend (daughter of the lovely massage therapist and amazing artist) a thank you card with a picture of Jack on it, and we were told that she carries the thank you around in her purse. It’s safe to say that Jack was completely flattered about this. He kept bringing it up throughout the night…”can you believe that Sylvia carries a purse? And, like her mom said, she puts *my* picture in it.” Too funny! I was telling the massage therapist about his sleeping problems and she offered to give us some essential oil that she puts on a cotton ball on her daughter’s pillow to help her sleep. So, we left with the oil that we affectionately named “Sylvia’s sleep potion.” On the way back to the car, Jack tells me that he wants to be old Jack again, and that the sad and angry Jack is no fun. We agreed on that one and opted for a hug and kiss rather than a shake of hands. And I made a note that the glazed look face does not necessarily mean that they aren’t paying attention.

We had a date planned, and our first stop was Toys R Us. My aunt had sent Jack a gift card and after 24 hours it had singed a hole in his pocket. He knew exactly what he wanted, a new lego set and we were out of there in minutes (this made possible by the fact that we have ditched the wheelchair and are now using his walker almost exclusively).

Then off to the theater. We saw UP. BEST. MOVIE. EVER. If you love your kids….your spouse….anyone….go see UP. Jon took the boys last week and Jack loved it and wanted me to go see it. I want to go back today and see it again. LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT! And it being Jack’s favorite movie makes me so warm and fuzzy inside….those of you that have seen it will understand what I mean. Anyway, he was a great date, insisting we hold hands until my arm fell asleep. Then, he oh-so-casually slipped his arm around my shoulder and tickled my shoulders. (I’m not making his up people). Anyway…do yourself a favor on this rainy day, get to the theater and see UP.

We ended with dinner at Panera bread. We chatted over a bowl of soup and made plans to head to the bookstore. These plans diminished as Jack was sound asleep before we were out of the Panera parking lot. We got home and tucked him into bed with his sleeping potion. It took about 30 minutes to get him comfy and asleep….but he is STILL SLEEPING NOW….10 hours later. No wake ups all night long.

Yesterday was the best day we’ve had in a month. I think both Jack and I forgot for a few hours about fixators, wheelchairs, pin care, bad-tasting medicine, and just enjoyed one another’s company. I know that we both needed it and what a blessing it was! I’m hoping and praying that we are turning a corner here and things continue on the upswing.

Oh, and for those of you that are wondering….Jon took the little ones on a date as well. Apparently, they did some serious mall walking as he had some shopping to do. (Yes, you are allowed to laugh at that. He was looking for an anniversary gift and not out shopping at the mall for fun). And he took them to Garrett’s to the driving range. How funny is that??? He said Max hit all the balls while Mia slept in the stroller. He said he got quite a few comments from other golfers…I’m sure he did, hanging out on a Friday night at the driving range with 2 little kids! They ended the night with dinner at the Olive Garden and when they came home, they all looked pretty happy as well!

8 comments:

  1. I'm reading this with tears streaming down my face. I am so glad that you were both rejuvenated. This will definitely be one of those days that neither of you will ever forget.

    And I've also learned that that glazed look, for kids (not for men), means that they are saving up that information to mull over and discuss again later.

    Love you. I'm so glad that you had such a great day. And I completely agree with you on UP. Such a sweet film.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are going to see UP tomorrow. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SOOO glad to hear you had a better day. Just take it one day at a time & before you know it, it'll be time to go get that thing off!! :)
    -Michelle W.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I replied to this earlier and it's not here.
    AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME!!! What a great day!

    We ended up going to see UP today. I cried. Ethan said he didn't like it. It was too scarry and sad. Alexa liked it though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jack is my hero!! I am glad you guys had such a great day together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice. What a great post. So glad that you all had such a fabulous day, you guys deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad to hear you two had a wonderful time on your date!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is heart warming to read about the events that were special to each member of the O'Neil family. You certainly seem to know how to handle each situation whether challenging or joyful. Sylvia and her family are all so wonderful, aren't they? I think the art lessons are going to be awesome!

    ReplyDelete