Monday, June 8, 2009

Build A Bear

First, just let me say…I hate coming on here and blogging after a bad day. But, I made a commitment to keep this honest, so here goes……today was a REALLY. BAD. DAY.

Saturday was a rough day and I was up with Jack allllllllll night long. Sunday was a better day, we went to the Shriner’s circus, which was a nice distraction. We loved the circus, but are all in agreement that we have no interest in actually joining the circus. Sunday night was another miserable night. Jon and I were up with Jack all night. He literally was tossing and turning and whimpering the entire night. He finally fell asleep a couple of hours before I had to wake him up to leave for his doctor’s appointment. Jon cancelled his clinic at the last moment and went with me. He just felt with how rough things have been the last few days he needed to be at the appointment. My mom went with too which was nice, she kept the little ones in the waiting room while we had the appointment. They did xrays, which were AMAZING to see!!!!! He has exactly 12 mm of new bone growing between the 2 breaks. This was such a relief to see and definitely the highlight of the day!!!!! We asked Dr. Kogan about all the pain he’s been having. Some of the pin sites look a little red, but she didn’t think they looked too bad. She wrote us a script for an antibiotic just in case. The muscle aches and pains he’s been having are normal, and part of this process. For the discomfort at night (it’s almost like he has restless leg syndrome) she and Jon discussed a few medicines and they finally decided on Neurontin. Let’s hope it helps!!! We are scheduled to go back in 2 weeks.

We headed to Build a Bear, where as promised we bought a ridiculous amount of cute stuff for their beloved Zebra (Zebrie), Turtle (Simon), and Bunny (Anna). It was a lot of fun!

We got home in time to get to swim therapy. I was unsure how it would go, at this point Jack was a mess. He was/is so overtired, he just gets so worked up and can’t settle down. But, we had to get to the therapy appointment so we went. Jon went into the pool with him and it went okay. The therapist said the first couple of sessions they just give the kids a chance to warm up to the concept of aqua therapy. Jack definitely was not having the time of his life, but by the end of it seemed much more comfortable. I’m really hoping this ends up to be a positive experience for him because he loves swimming. I had filled the prescriptions while they were in the pool, which was good b/c he felt feverish when he got out. Sure enough, we get home and he’s running a fever. I got him in the shower and really tried to clean up the pin sites, which did not go over well. And by that I mean, he was screaming at me the entire time. But, I did it and I’m glad I did. We’re pretty certain he has an infection in one of the pin sites. Thankfully, we have the antibiotic and we’re hoping it clears the infection up. Quickly. He’s been sleeping pretty restlessly for about 2 hours. We’re hoping that tonight is a better night¸but are preparing to be up with him.

So, that’s where we are today. Jon and I are both feeling a little drained by this all right now, and now understand what the doctor said when she told us we do this until the kid can’t take it anymore. Here’s hoping tomorrow is a better day!!!!

4 comments:

  1. Wow Heidi, that is rough...You are all still in our prayers, and hopefully with the antibiotic he will feel much better tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you all get some rest tonight. Sorry to hear the last couple of days have been so rough. Hopefully the meds will help. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, poor guy! That sounds so painful and intense. He's a trooper. (Hugs) I hope today is better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. aw man Heidi. That sounds rough. I hope this is just a bump and he'll be back on track and feeling good.

    Love the animals. Build a bear is great place. I could spend a small fortune in there.
    ((((hugs))))

    ReplyDelete