Saturday, June 6, 2009

CELEBRATE!!!!

The most important thing I have to say today is….HAPPY BIRTHDAY MAX!!!!!
Four years ago today, Max entered this world at a whopping 11 lbs, 1 oz!!!! He was a big ole’ chunk of love then and he still is today! All he wanted for his birthday was a Chronicles of Narnia sword and he spent the entire morning sword fighting before heading to the driving range with Jon. He’s looking forward to eating dinner at his favorite restaurant tonight, Buffalo Wild Wings and I’m looking forward to spending the day celebrating our Maxi Moo Moo…which is the horrible horrible nickname we started years ago and it’s stuck. Yes, someday we will be paying therapy bills to undo all the damage a nickname like that does.






Another reason to celebrate today…we’ve reached the 1 cm mark!!! The turnings are still a bit rough, and to be honest a crappy way to start each day. It is SO neat to think we’ve grown a cm though, we’re making progress. I can’t wait to see the xrays on Monday. My mom is coming with me and I’ve promised the boys a trip to Build-a-Bear afterwards. It should be fun and filled with an excess of stuffed animal purchases.

We had 2 therapy sessions this week. They’re going well, it’s nice to see him getting stretched out because I worry about that leg being so straight all day long. His therapist really worked him Thursday and he told me he felt like his skin was ripping at the pin sites. That was tough to hear, but it’s so important to keep him stretched out. He has his first swim therapy session on Monday afternoon. I can’t wait to see him in the pool. I know at first he will definitely be hesitant, but once he relaxes he’ll love it.

We had his first massage today. He giggled for the first minute or two and then he was a silent, wet noodle for the rest of the session. I think it’s safe to say he loved it. The therapist had his knee bent at a 45 degree angle by the time she was done when he was on his tummy. It was soooooo nice for me to see him so comfortable and relaxed. We’ll be going back weekly…yet another appointment, but so worth it! And the highlight of the massage…he got to see Sylvia, a girl from his class and the daughter of the therapist. Jon and I have a suspicion that Sylvia holds a special place in Jack’s heart….and he was so pleased when she came running outside to see him!

We’ve got Jack up and about in his walker for the most part. He has a little bit more independence and it’s so much better for his back to be up and moving. I took the boys outside the other day and we figured out a way for Jack to play t-ball, swing, and maneuver up and down the swingset. We had a blast with the kids on the swings the other night. It was so nice to see Jack having fun just being a kid and to forget for a while that he isn’t our “patient.” Here’s some pix and a video….now, I know the video holds little excitement for most, but Jack’s comments that you can hear towards the end are really heart-warming.

Oh, and just an update on the cookies....Amelia enjoyed hers too!

5 comments:

  1. Its so great to see Jack out and about having fun!!! The video was cute!! Tell Maxers we love him to and Happy birthday and does Mia ever look so cute with her teeth and eating her cookie!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What happy times you have been having as a family. It is so great to hear how well things are going. How nice for Jack and Sylvia to see each other!
    Laurie Pellant

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - what a difference a couple of weeks makes! I'm so glad to see everyone smiling and Mia with that cookie - what a picture!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Belated Birthday Max! I hope you had a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAPPY belated BIRTHDAY MAX!!!
    I missed checking in each day while we were gone.
    Was that "I'm not afraid" from Jack. Made me a little teary.
    Max's giggle is awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete