Monday, June 15, 2009

Milestones and Anniversaries!

I’m happy to report that we are on a string of really good days. The complaints of pain have been much less frequent and Jack’s attitude is waaaaaaay better. It’s been heavenly, life seems much more normal. Let’s hope it stays that way!!! Jack had aqua therapy today at Peak Fitness. He asked me on the way why it’s called Peak and I explained to him that when athletes are performing their best, it’s called being at their peak. We were waiting to get into the pool and he looks at me with his green goggles on, hair sticking out everywhere, and says “I think I’m ready for a workout.” He wasn’t kidding! He swam for 45 minutes. He was having a blast, it must have felt so good to have that freedom of movement and be able to use that little leg. He had a noodle under his arms and swam until he couldn’t go any more. He gets out of the pool, looks at me, and says “mom, I think I’m at my peak.”

The best part of swimming, is it softens the skin around the pin sites so well that tomorrow we won’t need to do much pin care in the shower. When I told Jack that, he told me we need to get a pool in our yard so he can swim everyday.

Tomorrow is a very exciting day, we are at the 2 cm mark. We are all so excited about that, we are 1/3 of the way there!!! Today marks one month since Jack had his surgery. One month??? Really…that seems unreal. Those days are a blur to us, but it seems like ages ago. I am so glad it’s behind us, and really glad that I’ve kept this blog to keep record of everything. I have a feeling (and I’m sort of hoping) that this all becomes a blur someday!

Tomorrow is our 8th wedding anniversary. I said to Jon the other day, “Really? It’s only been 8 years?” It seems crazy all that we’ve done and gone through in just 8 years. We started dating when I was 18 and got married at the ripe old ages of 22 and 24. Over the 8 years, we’ve moved 5 times (twice 850 miles), had 3 kids, made it through med school and residency, battled leaky pipes and crappy cars, went to endless doctor’s and therapy visits….and tried to keep laughing through it all. Our lives have changed so much since we first met….we’ve replaced college drinking games with Uno and Memory and late night runs to the store are for Dairy Queen rather than a case of cheap beer. We still do shout out “nudie” whenever one of our kids decides to streak around the house at bathtime….so maybe things haven’t changed so much! It’s been a great 8 years, I would not change a thing…I’m looking forward to 80 more!

5 comments:

  1. SOOOO Happy to hear how well it's going.
    Prayers that it continues.

    HAPPY 2cm DAY!!!!

    HAPPY ANNIVERSARY JON AND HEIDI!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary!! And I'm so glad you are all having good days lately!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Guys! Dare I say we finally figured out how to post a comment. My gosh -you'd think we'd could get it together faster than this. Sorry. HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!!!! You deserve at least 80 more to enjoy good years without so many challenges. It has made you the family you are - strong, beautiful and amazing. We're so lucky to have you all - exactly the way you are. Thanks for setting such a wonderful example for all of us. Jack - you rock! Keep working on the pool in the backyard - haha. Take care of yourselves and enjoy your wonderful day. Best sleep to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew that water therapy would feel wonderful for Jack, just like it did for my big brother, John! You certainly have many things to celebrate on your 8th anniversary. Congratulations!
    p.s. Your Fraggle Rock is adorable!

    ReplyDelete