Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Stop Staring Please

Those of you that know me well, know that I have a HUGE pet peeve....staring. There is no way to discreetly stare at someone...if you're staring, they know it. You can FEEL someone staring at you, even if you are in a crowded mall with thousands of people and there is one person staring at you, you can feel it. And it hurts. Jack deals with staring every single day. He hates it and talks about it all the time. He can not wait for this lengthening to be over, his shoe lift to be less noticeable, and maybe the staring will lesson.

My sister gave me the idea of handing out cards to people that can't look away. Something along the lines of "Hi, my name is Jack. I am wearing this on my leg to correct a leg deformity that I was born with. I am trying really hard to be brave, and I get very upset when people stare at me. I know this is very interesting looking, so if you would like more information please visit www.limblengthening.com"

I mentioned this to some friends, and they got creative and came up with some ideas to have printed on tshirts or cards. I thought I would share them with you:

"Don't mess with me, I'm in training to be the next Bionic Man!"

"Staring causes paralysis. "

"You should see what the other guy looks like."

"Give me your number. When this thing comes off I'm gonna throw it at ya."

2 comments:

  1. I think the tee shirt idea is hilarious! People need to be educated, so why not spread the word? I have a boy in my daycare that has just been diagnosed with a form of dwarfism. As he grows and it becomes more obvious, we plan on trying our best to educate everyone that meets him. I think tee shirts sound perfect...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey girl,
    Just have to share...
    When Will was on heavy doses of chemo that caused all his hair to fall out, I found a t-shirt on a cancer website that had a drawing of a cute bald headed kid and a saying above it that declared, "Are you staring at me because I'm cute?"
    ;-)
    Love you and am praying for you guys.
    Angie Armstrong

    ReplyDelete