Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Final Measurement, 5.5 cm!

We saw Dr. Kogan today. The xrays were amazing, showing 5.5 cm of new bone that is already hardening! Dr. Kogan was so excited she opened the door and started grabbing other doctors from the hallway to show them Jack and his xrays. She wasn’t too concerned about his foot, she said it looks worse than it actually is because of the slight knee contracture. She thinks with PT both can be corrected, and if not she has a few ideas of things she can do when the fixator comes off. All in all, a really great appointment….she wants to see us again in a month. She wants his PT’s to really push the weight-bearing, that’s our big hurdle right now.


Jack was so excited for his appointment today. He got idea at 7 o’clock this morning to bring Dr. Kogan flowers. He was disapointed when I told him I didn’t think there was time for us to get some this time, but next time we’d remember. He was THRILLED to be wearing TWO sandals today….first time ever without needing a shoe lift.





After our appointment we did our customary trip to Build-a-Bear. Jack got a surgical suit for his beloved monkey. We got the idea that his charity would donate bears with the surgical suit to kids in the hospital. Each bear with outfits costs $25. So far Jack has raised $15…..a $5 donation of his own money and $10 raised in a lemonade stand with his cousins, Abbie and Izzie. I told him once he got to $100, we’d head to Woodfield and get four bears to donate.




A glimpse into what’s been happening at our house this week.

Jack, proving to me that he still can do pushups.




The boys were outside golfing tonight. Jack decided to try without his walker. Don't get too excited, he's balancing on one foot.


And he swings....it isn't pretty, but it works. Future Happy Gilmore, perhaps?






And getting creative and trying some weight-bearing on his own doing the crabwalk.



And here's a picture of Max. He hasn't been getting much face-time on the blog lately, and I don't want to give him middle child syndrome.




Jon shared his popsicle with Amelia. We were laughing at her expressions......



....and then I remembered, I had seen that face somewhere before......


That's Max, several years ago, being fed a popsicle by Jack.

I put the boys on the deck the other day while I vacummed, swept, and mopped. This is how they entertained themselves while I vacummed, swept, and mopped. And then they had to come inside to shower off and walked all over the floors that I had vacummed, swept, and mopped.



And, here is the current state of our backyard. This has been providing hours of entertainment for the boys this week!!!! I’m hoping they have as much fun playing in the pool as they are watching it be built!



6 comments:

  1. I am so THRILLED for you all. I'm all teary looking at Jack with both feet on the floor in his sandles.
    I remember when my parents got their inground pool. It was fun watching all the digging and cement pouring.
    Amazing...absolutly amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet, a pool! Great post on Jack's progress...way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, Jack!!! He looks so thrilled to have the sandals on. Can't wait to see the pool when it's all done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOOOHOOOO!!!! I am so excited for you and for Jack! Good job getting through this. I cannot believe how amazing this process has been. And now he's wearing sandals. :) That is something to celebrate for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. AWESOME! I called Rowan over here to look at pictures, and he didn't say a word about the fixator. His comment: "Jack has glasses? When did he get those?" LOL
    LOVE the sandals.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool! The sandals, the pool, everything. :)

    ReplyDelete