Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Bike Riding!!!

Lots of great things to report.

Our charity work is going great! We’re working on making it “official”. This means lots of paperwork and me struggling to read legal jargin. My brother and I are in the process of starting a website, I will definitely post it as soon as it’s finished! Jack has been doing some major fund-raising and has already raised over $150! Not bad for a 6 year old…he’s a smooth talker! We’ve got so many ideas and are working hard to get some of them started. It’s nice to think that out of all of this, something really amazing is going to happen (as if growing 5.5 cm of bone isn’t amazing enough!)

The real BIG news today is that Jack has started riding his bike!!! This morning I was telling him how my neice has started riding a bike without training wheels (great job Izzie). Jack, in all his competitive glory, marched out to the garage, got on his bike and started pedaling.




I took the video to show his PT today and she was amazed. He’s TOTALLY weight-bearing on that foot while biking!!! She was also very impressed with his weight-transition going from sitting to standing and his gait on the treadmill. He’s still pretty far from walking independently but he’s made so much progress in just 10 days!!! Here’s him on the treadmill. He wears this fancy get-up that basically suspends him above the treadmill so he can practice his gait without really weight-bearing on his feet.



So, that’s where we are today. Extremely happy with the work Jack has put in. He’s slowly getting back to feeling like himself. He’s got (another) infection so he’s back on the antibiotics. Jon and I hate having him on them so often, but it’s necessary. They seem to bother his tummy and he’s lost some weight. I’d love to fatten him up a bit. We did celebrate tonight at Dairy Queen, so that’s a start!


I added a new link to an article I found, called “Limb Lengthening Tests Human Willpower.” It’s an adult undergoing the limb lengthening procedure and I have to admit it was a tough read for me. Reading her describe the agonizing pain is tough…hard to think my 6 year old has (and is) enduring that. She is a champion though…and I know Jack is too!

5 comments:

  1. Introducing The Amazing Jack!!
    You do continue to amaze me! Do you amaze yourself? The video of your bike ride brought happy tears to my eyes. I can't wait to hear more about your fundraising ideas. You have such a great start, $150.00! Again, that is pretty amazing!
    I'm so glad I was able to visit with you and your family at your house last week. I love to read about you and see photos of you on your blog, but it was even better to see you in person. I hope to see you again really soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH man Heidi were you bawling??
    Jack you are the most amazing little man I know!
    You need to be on Ellen.
    The world really needs to know who you are and it could only help with your fundraising!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally totally amazing Heidi/Jack!! Wow. I watched it cringing at first when he put that weight on his leg thinking it must hurt..obviously not! What an accomplishment!

    Heidi, your blog is often my night time bed story, I enjoy it so much and love reading about Jack's journey.
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That is super cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just amazing! I cried the first time Dee rode her bike - I can't even imagine how you must have felt! Jack is just so determined!

    ReplyDelete