Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Big Day!

Tomorrow we go see Dr. Kogan to get Jack's cast off! It's hard to believe we're at that point in this process. We're all excited for the big reveal, and to see what that little leg looks like now that it's 5.5 cm longer. I am looking forward to getting him in a bathtub and scrubbing the leg, while Jack is looking forward to jumping in the pool! He's got plans for us to stop at Woodfield mall on the way home to get some new sneakers. It works out nicely since we are stopping at the Build a Bear on the way home to build over 30 stuffed animals to donate!

Jack wore pants the other day and it was so strange because we didn't have to cuff the pant leg of his left leg. Jack told me, "mom, if I didn't have my cast on, nobody would ever know that leg was different." I was so happy for him, he has gone through SO much these past few months, and he was basking in the results of his hard work.

Once the cast is off, he'll get a new brace to wear. PT will be focusing on improving his gait/limp and increasing his strength. He'll still see his therapists three times a week and his massage therapist once a week (lucky kid)!

So, that's where we are this week. In the last couple of weeks we've really seen Jack let go of a lot of the stress and burdens he carried over the last few months. He really seems to back to himself. The lengthening process was a physical and emotional process that we'll always feel very triumphant that we overcame!

And here's a quick picture because Jack pointed outI had not yet posted a picture of him riding his scooter. Apparently he likes the idea of people marveling over his many talents :)


2 comments:

  1. I am marveled! You don't know me, but I just found your blog a couple of nights ago and spent hours reading everything! Thank you so much for all of the stories, honestly, information and pictures! My son is 6 months old and currently has about a 7mm leg difference and is missing a ray of his foot. We're thinking that it may be Fibular Hemimelia, but we're not sure yet. His difference will likely become something that has to be corrected when he's a bit older. Your story has brought me comfort. I do much better when I know what to expect, even if it's a hard road, at least I know! Jack really is a 'cool kid'! Can't wait to see the leg that's under that cast!:-)Bonnie:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 30 more bears!! That's awesome!!!
    I'll be thinking of you all tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete