Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Quick update

Jack's been acting a little strange the last few days. He's been pretty cranky, which is unlike him. He's been complaining of some muscle tenderness, which we think is some soreness from PT. There also is a pin that's been bothering him. Yesterday, at aqua therapy, he had a good session but his therapist afterwards told me he was so cold. I instantly knew what was up...fever and achiness.....pin infection! He's been off the antibiotic for a week or so now....we put him back on it last nigt hoping that it clears up the infection ASAP!

Yesterday, he was so sad. He pretty much layed on the couch all day or followed me around asking me if I was mad at him because he wasn't walking yet. One thing about Jack.....he loooooooves his mama. And, if he thinks I am disapointed in him, he just can't handle it. Well, I made the mistake of implying that I think he should be walking by now, and oh boy...he was just a mess thinking that I'm disapointed in him. So today I will make sure to be very reassuring and positive, especially since we are headed to PT.

I think yesterday was a bad day in a string of good days...sort of a reminder that this is still going on and it's still a struggle for him every day. After swimming, I was drying his legs off and he says, "mommy can you be very gentle when you dry my legs?" I asked him why and his eyes filled up with tears, chin quivering and he says, "because I have all these pins in my leg....and these pins make my leg hurt."

It's been almost months since he's "had all these pins in his leg". Hard to believe it's been 3 months, and at the same time....only 3 months???? If all works out on schedule, he'll have this on for another 2.5 months:

lengthening (turning): 50 days
consolidation (bone hardening): 100 days

We are on day 26th of consolidation. W see Dr. Kogan on Thursday to see how his bone is hardening. If it's hardening quickly, she can remove the fixator sooner and put a cast on. I think we're all holding our breaths until Thursday and hoping he's a "super healer" and that xray shows some nice white, dense bone!!!

Funny story...the other day Jack was coloring and all of a sudden we heard something drop on the tile floor. We both looked down and a strut had fallen off the fixator!!!!! Jack was ready to panic, but I started laughing and was able to fix it. This thing is starting to fall apart! Seriously....for $60,000 you would think that it would be better quality! Yes, you read that right.....$60,000!!!! Thankfully, we have really great insurance so we did NOT pay that, but I have to say....our jaws dropped when we got that EOB.

So that's our update for now. I'll definitely update Thursday after our appointment. Jack wants to stop at Dunkin' Donuts and get a donut for Dr. Kogan. He is so excited to see her, but I know he's a little nervous because he's not walking and I think he thinks she expects him to be. Poor kiddo, he puts so much pressure on himself. I think she will be THRILLED to see the video of him riding his bike and swimming the width of the pool.

EDITING TO ADD: Two hours after I posted this blog entry, this happened in my house...out of nowhere......


I am speechless!!!

8 comments:

  1. Hey!!! Was that Jack I just saw walking across the room??? How awesome is that! You are Jack the Cool Kid but also Jack the Awesome Kid! I also noticed (I think) boxes in the background from Build-a-Bear. Congratulations again on your success with your fundraiser.
    Next week Mrs. Simmonds and I will be at school
    to begin setting up our classroom. We will be seeing you soon! Can't Wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOOHOOO Jack!!!! What a HUGE hurdle to overcome!!! So excited for him (and for you)! Awesome job, Jack!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWESOME JACK! KEEP UP THE GREAT PROGRESS!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. GO JACK!!! You are such a super hero! You should be really proud of yourself!! I can't wait to hear about your nice dense bone growing and that your fixator will be off in no time!

    Sarah Knight

    ReplyDelete
  5. This little guy is truly a hero. So happy for him!!!

    ARLENE

    ReplyDelete